16 Jul 2011

A Touch of the Mediterranean!

DSC_0706

Goodness me! Its been awhile since I have had time to myself, what with work, house sitting and the garden tour – but now I can sit, put my feet up and reflect on it all. Oh and did I mention that we’re in the middle of a scorching heat-wave at the moment? [My Heathcliff sensibilities – fog, drizzly cool moorish weather are sulking at best!]

The garden tour, a bus trip out of Toronto under the tutelage of Frank Kershaw arrived in Elora at three this afternoon, with their first stop being the gardens of two wonderful gardening friends, D & I! Truly artistic plant aficionados, in the three years since moving, they have transformed their corner property into a plantlover’s paradise – not to mention the stunning transformation of the recent Heritage designated stone house. It is as if you stepped off the sidewalk and into a Mediterranean villa!

DSC_0695   The back of the property which sits 3m from street level is home to a wonderful series of raised borders that form a potage. Here kitchen vegetables are grown with other ornamental aromatic flowers such as Lavandula and Salvia. In the year since I last visited this area has been totally transformed! The results are nothing less than stunning!

DSC_0696 DSC_0698 DSC_0697 DSC_0699

A magnificent fountain provides a wonderful trilling sound of water as it splashes from one level to the next. D insists that it was found in a feedlot, complete with a floating plastic yellow duck! ‘They had no idea what they had!’

 DSC_0701 DSC_0704 DSC_0705 This has been a stellar year for anyone who grows Yucca, and this magnificent specimen of Y. filamentosum immediately caught my eye. I am still toying with the idea of adding three plantings to the Ornamental Grass Border at D’s this Fall.

DSC_0708 Rosa “Peace’

DSC_0707 DSC_0717 DSC_0721 The last picture in the above trio designates the woodland garden where one will find Trillium, Meconopsis, Hydrangea, and the much beloved Arisaema, including the beguiling A. candidissimum! Is it any wonder that I and myself can spend hours discussing plants when she visits the nursery? We did a brief jaunt to the garden whilst D entertained guests so that she could catch me up on recent installations.

DSC_0718 An aptly designated plaque of achievement!

DSC_0724DSC_0722 DSC_0719 I look forward to seeing the garden as it continues to mature and develop under the careful tutelage of such talented and artistic caretakers. Congratulations on an additional achievement as well! Here is a sneak peak inside!

DSC_0714 DSC_0715

DSC_0727

2 comments:

GRACE PETERSON said...

Hi Barry, What a beautiful garden and house. It must have been a real treat to see it in person.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

That is one heavenly house and garden that I would love to live in Barry!
Absolutely gorgeous : )
Joy
PS .. I hate this weather ... argh !!