25 May 2012

A Sneak Peek…..

DSC_0002

I recently had an opportunity to be part of a gardening show that airs on our local Cogeco television network. I’ve been interviewed twice by local gardening celebrity Daisy Moore for her Saturday morning show ‘Gardening with Daisy!’ and have really enjoyed myself. I think part of it was the fact that I was talking one-to-one with Daisy, and not a camera and camera man as was the case in this situation.  I did an eight minute segment on buying perennials – a relatively straight forward topic, yet I managed to showcase some of the wonderful new, rare and unusual plants that is helping to gain LittleTree the distinction of being the local nursery with the somewhat exotic and exciting plant selections.

DSC_0004 The Gardening Show was taped at the home of one of my favourite clients, who I shall refer to simply as S. She and I have developed a wonderful rapport over the years, having discovered we were kindred spirits when it comes to the rare and the unusual. I remember last Spring, the look of sheer delight when I showed her the Cornus x Venus and Acer campestre ‘Carnival’ that I have ordered in especially for her! This year she’s taken home a vast majority of the specialty plants that I’ve brought in to coax and cajole my regulars! I like to enable the gardening addiction wherever and whenever possible!

DSC_0005Acer palmatum ‘Ukigumo’ [in the photo immediately preceding this one] and Acer shirasawanum ‘Aureum’ [above] were two of the crowning jewels this Spring, and S snapped both up before most people were even contemplating the new gardening season. Truth be told, my name was on this delightful ‘Shirasawanum’, but I could hardly disappoint such a generous friend and loyal customer.

DSC_0006 A delightful riverfront property, S has maintained a natural woodland appearance as you descend from the back lawn towards the water’s edge.

DSC_0008 DSC_0011 Delightful statuary is strategically placed so as not to interrupt the naturalistic woodland atmosphere that permeates the property. Wonderful drifts of Daphne mezereum, a hardy native dot the landscape, and S generously gifted me with one last Fall which was blooming for me this past March!

DSC_0012This delightful sculpture is named in honor of a much beloved neighbor whose recent passing has touched S deeply. A generous and kind hearted spirit, her visits to the garden centre are always delightful! Her departing words resonate to the very core of our shared obsession: ‘If you find something you think I would like, put it aside for me!’ My kind of gardening kindred spirit for sure!

DSC_0015 I visualize the ‘little people’ gathered round, listening raptly to a story of life before humanity began damaging the environment.

DSC_0014

Unfortunately other tasks prevailed and I had to set aside my gardening voyeur cap and prepare to face the camera. I promised S that once things slowed at the garden centre that I would make a return visit where we could both meander the length of the property and I could learn more about the creation of this magical woodland. Stay tuned!

No comments: