10 Aug 2012

Rain, Sweet Glorious Rain At Long Last!

DSC_0044

Grace’ is looking particularly happy after a full day of gentle and glorious rain! Of course, here in Fergus it’s pretty much guaranteed to rain on the weekend of the Scottish Highland Games – and for this overzealous parent/gardener, I couldn’t be happier!

DSC_0015When I spotted my side-by-side Roscoea purpurescens ‘Cinnamon Stick’ blooms I immediately thought of synchronized swimming at the Olympics! Surely you can understand why!

DSC_0013The rain started around nine this morning, and although I was working, my mind was on the kids, who would be delighting in the much needed moisture that was falling ever so gently from the sky. Business was slow, but there were still those die-hard gardeners out searching for bargains, and with a 30-40-50% off weekend, I expect to see more as the weekend progresses! There were a few heavy downpours, but for the most part it was a nice even pace, ensuring that everything including me got a good soaking! Yes, I was out in it as much as was possible, rejoicing in the return of a long lost friend!

DSC_0016   Its like having a built in umbrella for Agave parryi var. truncata! ‘DL’ [Dangerous Loree] seems to be enjoying her new outdoor abode. Positioned so that she only gets the drip from the overhang, she is unfurling another mesmerizing blue-gray leaf!

DSC_0017 All of my kids were in their glory! Notably so were the residents of the ‘fabulous chartreuse’ corner which includes not one but two Aralia cordata ‘Sun King', Pinellia tripartita ‘Golden Dragons’ and….. wait for it…..

DSC_0033 Gentiana scabra ‘True Blue’…. and…..

DSC_0644 Corydalis ‘Wildside Blue’

Could there possibly be anything else? No. I think that about covers it from every possible angle. Truly one of my favourite two sqaure foot sections on the entire property!

DSC_0024 Meet the newest resident of Teza’s Hortus Magnificum! Metasequoia glyptostroboides ‘Goldrush’ came to me as the result of a somewhat convoluted plant swap with a former neighbor. I’d ordered ‘Goldy’ in for them only to learn later that they actually wanted something truly coniferous. What to do, what to do? Oh! Hello there Abies koreana ‘Horstmann’s Silberlocke’ – you’ve never been overly happy here have you? One look and it was a done deal! ‘Goldy’ is going to be the highlight of a post on the 22nd of August. I’ll forego any more discussion about his beauty until then….. in the meantime, here’s another posterity pose!

DSC_0036DSC_0039 And how did my fellow gardeners and their ‘children’ enjoy the glorious rains?

4 comments:

Gardenbug said...

Oh you sneaky devil you!

The rains were more and more fierce in our direction as dinner time approached. Thunder and lightning. But I did manage a very quick trip to a nursery which had 80% off sales. Came home with a clematis for a friend (Gazelle) and 3 thalictrum @$2 each.

I'm contemplating where to plant 2 lovely Veronicastrums... and hoping to pick up a batch of Petasites nearby on Sunday.

I told DH that I am yearning for rain chains from Lee Valley...

danger garden said...

'DL'...I am honored!

No rain here...I'm loving it, even though after the baking weekend it means I must water...

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Sweetie it is a gentle rain this morning (Sunday) and it is WONDERFUL!! .. How funny is it when all of us "dry hot" gardeners (too many jokes, too little time and space) are over taken with gratitude for just plain rain : )
We haven't had thunderstorms here in Kingston but the rain is so appreciated ..ah ! I feel sleepy with the comfort of hearing it .. rain chains YES !!! I would love some too ;-)
Joy
PS .. that is an amazing property .. I would so love to have one like it .. the woods wood be my oasis and hide away from the world ;-)

outlawgardener said...

Just finished listening to your show which was incredibly wonderful! Glad that the older episodes are now available on your blog. So, more dancing naked under the willow tree?