30 Apr 2015

The Deluge is Imminent!


[Corydalis nobilis]

With things ramping up at Cedar Spring, the weather getting warmer and warmer with each passing day, and the fact that tomorrow is the first of May, one can understand how I might have overlooked activity in my own garden. Fresh [well that is not exactly the choice of word I should use!] from finishing a garden installation with my employer, my body was telling me to walk straight into the house, climb in the shower and then think about finding something to eat, but the eyes and heart had a different plan!

His appearance in the garden three years ago took my by surprise, as I'd given up hope that he had over wintered, but the past three years have bore witness to the instantl;y recognizable glaucous blue grey lacy foliage that belongs to Corydalis nobilis. A member of the genus of which my signature plant belongs to, this sturdy looking guy is indeed noble in his structure, right down to the larger than species sized flowers of a creamy white with a yellowish brown throat. He looked pretty sad during the last bout of cold weather that we had, but he is now on the verge of blooming which is simply divine! 



[Paeonia mlokosewitschii]

She is the reigning Queen of the genus in my estimation, and even now, in early Spring, her freshly emerging foliage looks like velvet. Every year her flowers are of a lighter yellow than the previous year, so I am hoping that perhaps they will one day be the real deal. People who are familiar with 'Molly the Witch' also understand that some of her blooms can be downright pinkish in appearance, but for me, any 'single' is ten times the worth of those blowy doubles that most gardens contain. Yes, its definitely a case of plant snobbery coming through!




[Lilium martagon]

Note to self: Slug bait! One of three Lilium martagon is showing off its bright green shiny, but thin new foliage which acts like a magnet for those damned slugs! A shaded garden isn't truly one without their presence, but I am not inclined to let them wreak havoc on my treasured beauties.


[Hepatica transsilvanica 'Buis']

One of Larry's favourite members of an intoxicating genus, this beguiling beauty is putting forth a smashing display of colour. He is yet another of those diminutive charmers that demand that you get down on all fours in order to fully appreciate his true charm and beauty!


[Geranium phaeum 'Margaret Wilson'

She is the only perennial Geranium that I grow! Her intoxicating variegated foliage is well worth the price of admission, and in a somewhat shaded garden, she absolutely pops. I have sold more of her than any other perennial Geranium three years running. 'Kick that weedy, gangly Rozanne to the curb once and for all people!'




[Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum']

While not a 'palmatum' species, this more than hardy member of the so called 'Japanese' maples is hands down one of my favourites! Fabulously chartreuse, palmate shaped, pleated foliage emerges, each leaf resembling a Geisha's fan. With an open vase shaped habit and a mature height in the 3m range, it is the perfect focal point in a woodland garden where dappled shade will ensure that its delicately beautiful foliage does not burn! At this point, the swollen buds practically disappear into the colour of the siding on my house!



And that about does it for this the last day of May. It feels like the garden is behind itself by a couple of weeks, but I can only imagine if the weather continues to warm up, there will be lots to show in two weeks time. I am so relieved to have the frosts of April behind us...... lets hope they stay there!

No comments: