10 Jul 2012

Fabulous, Aren’t I?

DSC_0147And NO, I am not the dreaded Heracleum mantegazzianum, commonly referred to as giant Hogweed! I am Angelica archangelica a delightful biennial that grows 1.5m by 0.8m. I am hardy to Zone 4 but am not considered frost tender. My delightful flowers are actually hermaphroditic and are pollinated by insects.

DSC_0145 DSC_0146 Imagine stumbling upon a mass planting of this statuesque beauty which has self seeded itself into what appears to be an avenue! Gardening friend Marie introduced me to this fabulous plant on a recent visit.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

yes it is fabulous! Colors are amazing.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Sweetie this plants is AWESOME isn't it ? I have wondered about growing it too but my space is getting dicey and I know .. I can hear you groaning about how little you have, and if you can do it ? so can I ? right ? LOL
I was out for over 5 hours yesterday morning watering and moving plants around .. I still can't hit the nail on the head with how they look to me .. maybe it is just "this" year that is driving me nuts with the swings in weather and NO rain.
In any case .. this is one gorgeous plant and it so deserved a spot on your blog !!
Joy : )