23 Oct 2012

Sweetheart Makes A Splash!

DSC_0044

Cyclamen hederifolium ‘Sweetheart Splash’ was one of the first ‘white’ elements I added to Cat’s Memorial Garden and I am so grateful! In the early morning sun they look like angels wings! I finally managed to finish part one of the project – I planted the last of the bulbs and added two more Epimedium ‘Fire Dragon’ just this past week. Forgetting that its usually dark by 7, I found myself groping around the base of M.g ‘Goldrush’….. here’s hoping that everything I planted comes up next Spring. I can hardly wait to see if Meconopsis x sheldonii ‘Lingholm’ over winters for me. As we speak, there are still four very vigorous leaves, all hairy and encouraging! Fingers crossed!

Back to Sweetheart Splash’ for a second: a new release from Terra Nova Nurseries, it boasts divine large white flowers that arise over jewel like foliage, infused with silver and green. Each leaf has a green ‘splash’ at its tip. I have its pink flowered cousin [C.h ‘Something Magic’] in the Rare and Unusual border where there is a wonderful patchwork of delightful foliage that looks as though each leaf possesses a shimmering silver Christmas tree!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's adorable! I don't remember seeing any of those when I was out at Terra Nova a week or so ago but I'll be sure to ask about them. I love Cyclamen!

Northern Shade said...

'Sweetheart Splash’ is a terrific looking plant. I'm very fond of silver foliage, especially in the shade. Those white flowers are very delicate looking. I just looked up its zone as I was typing this to see if it could grow here. It's supposed to be good to zone 4, so it might do well here in a sheltered location, as long as it flowered before the frost came.

outlawgardener said...

'Sweetheart Splash' in bloom does look like angel wings! I bet that your Meconopsis x sheldonii ‘Lingholm’ will winter just fine for you. They don't mind cold but they don't like drying out too much.