30 Dec 2012

The ‘Must Have’ List: Part the Third

If its even remotely blue hued, chances are its crossed my radar more than once! On a recent visit to Whistling Gardens, this was one of the first specimens that I wanted to locate within the vast arboretum display gardens.

DSC_0055  DSC_0054 Cedrus atlantica ‘Horstmann’ is a divine semi-dwarf selection with densely spaced icy blue needles, as pictured above. I love that its mature specs are 2.5-3.5m x 2m in ten years. Hardy to Zone 6, it begs to be included in the 2013 Must Have list. I am also pondering another member of this beguiling family:

2328-feelin-blue-deodar-cedar-patio-tree2328-feelin-blue-deodar-cedar-full-shot Cedrus deodara ‘Feelin’ Blue’ [and I am leaning towards the standard as pictured in the blue pot!] is equally enticing, considering my lack of available space. With a height of .5-1m and a sprawling width up to 2m, it too would be a perfect compliment to the deep purple foliage of Cotinus coggygria ‘Grace’ or Metasequoia glyptostroboides ‘Goldrush’. Its all part of a project to turn the front yard into a miniature woodland of sorts with the addition of four or five dwarf to semi-dwarf specimen trees – all of the rare and unusual vein of course! The only caution with ‘Feelin Blue’ is that it is more tender hearted than ‘Horstmann’, but as is my faithful mantra….’when has that ever stopped me before!’

1 comment:

outlawgardener said...

May the new year bring you all of the plants on your must have list!